Thursday, September 18, 2008

I brought up Nancy Pearl's idea of suggesting books rather than recommending, and it caused quit a stir at our break table for a few days. I felt we had a good discussion about considering new ideas for working with library patrons. A few of my co-workers were very skeptical about suggesting books based on doorways and discussions with the patrons. They felt they knew better what books should be recommended because of their experience and knowledge. I told them it is not about you, it is about them. (Nancy told us that.) They stopped their disagreeing at that point. I also explained about the shoe salesman routine of offering three book choices. We had a few laughs, when Al Bundy was mentioned (Married with Children.) When he was compared to us, we had to agree we are somewhat like him in our lives.
I also selected a book by Toni Morrison to read, because I would never have chosen this type of book on my own. This will be a language doorway instead of my usual story or character doorway.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Interesting that you needed to point out that it is not about staff knowledge, but about the patron wants/needs (Service)to library staff. You'd think it would be intuitive, but since Nancy made a point of mentioning it, the co-worker's attitude must be prevalent.