Thursday, October 30, 2008

I thought I would mention the new technology I discovered while waiting in the hospital for my husband's back surgery to be completed. The family waiting room now has a computer screen that shows the progress of the patient from presurgery through the assignment of a room after the surgery is complete. I was given a number by a volunteer, then was told to follow the progress on the screen. Each area was color-coded to make it easier to follow. For instance, it was pink for the presurgery section, then white for the operating room.(six hours for my husband). Next, it was purple for the after surgery care, then finally another color for the room in intensive care following the surgery. Apart from a few telephone updates from surgery, the computer screen made it easy to track the progress. I felt that was a good way to pass on information, giving the volunteer time for other duties and keeping us posted after she had left for the day.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I bumped into this just recently (October 10) when waiting for my husband's nephrectomy. It was easy to see that he didn't get into the operating room until later than the scheduled time, so I wasn't as worried when he wasn't out when anticipated because I knew the reason why. Saved needless worry for those waiting. Also the computer for public use in the waiting room enabled me to notify family and friends of the outcome. I was happy to find that the Web2.0 technologies like Twitter and Gmail weren't blocked as they had been in another hospital where I had spent time this summer waiting while my father was ill.